Skip to main content

Upgrading TFS Beta 2 to RTM

I have a client migrating to TFS 2008 who was leveraging an old version: 2008 Beta 2. We had difficulty getting the RTM software bits so I ended up extending the license for 30-days. (previous post) Well, it expired yesterday. Arg.

We finally got the RTM bits and I'm upgrading now. My steps:
  1. Follow the uninstall steps to the letter. Get rid of all that old stuff!
  2. Backup your existing TFS databases.
  3. Kick off the TFS 2008 installation and follow instructions
  4. Restart
  5. Install everything else you need: Build, Proxy, Explorer, etc. Oddly, the installation utility must be re-executed and these services installed individually.
  6. Execute the TFS Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) found within the TFS 2008 Power Tools.
    (Good how to here on BPA from Richard Hundhausen.)
  7. Resolve issues discovered with the BPA tool.
My experience (pretty darn good):



The databases were updated automatically.



I received a "Processor type and speed do not meet recommendations." warning but pushed on...this is a proof-of-concept box.



Excuse you? I can't run the services under the account I'm installing under? Great...starting over.

Had some red flags with the Best Practices Analyzer but they were easily fixed. BPA is a great tool (check out this tool for other products as well: Sharepoint, SQL Server).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TFS Error | The type initializer for 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Server.BuildInformationNodeBinder' threw an exception.

Posting this one for the search engines. If you ever receive the exception "The type initializer for 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Server.BuildInformationNodeBinder' threw an exception.", more than likely, your drive space is at 0 on your TFS application tier box.

I encountered this at a client recently. The root cause was that IIS logs had filled up the OS drive (C:\). I switched IIS logging to the applications drive (D:\) which cleaned up the OS drive and resolved the issue.

Detailed message:


TF53010: The following error has occurred in a Team Foundation component or extension:


Date (UTC): 6/7/2011 4:18:53 PM

Machine: TFSATBOX

Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/8080/ROOT/tfs-1-129519118182628600

Assembly: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Framework.Server, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727

Service Host: 7ecfbd77-b386-4d75-b038-b05474782696 (DefaultCollection)

Process Details:

Process Name: w3wp

Process Id: 3676

Thread Id: 5752

Ac…

Verified by Visa: Everything We Tell Folks to Avoid

Phishing is defined by F-Secure as: "Fraudulent e-mail or website claiming to be legitimate seeking indentifiable information. Phishing is an attempt to steal your personal data."When I recently attempted an online purchase from WalMart using my VISA card, being a security wanta-be, I immediately thought phishing when redirected to verifiedbyvisa.com and saw this dialog:

Seriously, these folks have to be kidding. You're asking for my personal data during a transaction and claim that's its a service "...at no additional cost." Wow! Thanks...but absolutely not, you jokers. As a malicious thief, I can go a long way with this data.

This is exactly the type of experience which aids malfeasance and the folks trying to steal personal data / identities. How long have we been working to educate folks to avoid providing this type of data under these type of circumstances? Years. And we're just now starting to turn the corner.

VISA, get rid of this! When folks submi…

Windows 10 Creator's Update and Office Conflicts

Recently, Microsoft pushed the "Creators Update" out to Windows 10. It was available in April but it seems to have been force-pushed in the past 2 days. On my mother-in-law's computer, Creator's caused Excel to render a "Bad Image" message when attempting to start declaring "MSVCP140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error". I attempted the SFC and DISM repairs as advised on Tom's site to no avail. When I attempted an Office repair, Office disappeared completely. At this point, I definitely started to panic.

Fortunately, I noticed a pending reboot due to an install/update. Allowing Windows to install that update and rebooting twice brought Excel and Office back to life. I did have to re-register the software but all is well now. If you encounter this issue, stop what you're doing and install/restart Windows. Anecdotally, I've since hear of many folks encountering similar issues.